"9th National Seminar on Occupational Health, Safety & Environment"
On Friday 29 th & Saturday 30th November, 2019 at Karachi
The Institution of Engineers Pakistan, Karachi Centre organized the 9th National Seminar on “Occupational Health, Safety and Environment” on 29th and 30th November-2019, in collaboration with:
* NED University of Engineering and Technology, Karachi
* Pakistan Petroleum Limited
* Engro Polymer & Chemicals
* SGS Pakistan Private Limited
* AI Engineers Pakistan
* EMC Pakistan Private Limited
* K-Electric Limited
* Federation of Pakistan Chambers of Commerce and Industry
* Sindh Environmental Protection Agency
* Fire Protection Association of Pakistan
* American Society of Safety Professionals (Pakistan Chapter) and Chemical Engineering Department, University of Karachi
The theme of the seminar was “HSE Rules are Your Best Tools”.
The two days event started with Technical Visit of SGS Pakistan Pvt Limited, where participants were briefed about the testing and certification facilities available in SGS.
Friday the 29th November, 2019
The Inaugural Session of the Seminar was held on Friday the 29th November,2019 at Karachi Marriott Hotel.
Engr. Afaq Ahmed Siddique and Engr Faiza Saeed, Members Local Council, IEP Karachi Centre conducted the seminar.
The Seminar started with recitation of Holy Quran by Engr. Abdul Wahab Tajwani followed by The National Anthem.
Engr. Fareed Iqbal Siddiqui, Deputy Managing Director, Pakistan Petroleum Limited was the Chief Guest at the Inaugural Session.
Engr. Sohail Bashir, Chairman IEP Karachi Centre presented the welcome address.
Engr. Ayaz Mirza Vice President IEP and Chief Organizer 9NOSHE gave introduction of the seminar in the inauguration session
The keynote addresses were presented by Engr. Prof. Dr. Sarosh Hashmat Lodi, Vice-Chancellor, NED Universityof Engineering and Technology, and Engr. Akhter Quddus, Regulatory Chair of American Society of Safety Professionals which were very well appreciated by the participants.
A panel discussion on “Implementation of HSE Laws” was also held in the Inaugural Session. The following were panelists.
* Engr. Syed Ali Ashraf Naqvi, Vice-President (Chemical and Allied), IEP
* Engr. Ashkar Dawar, Additional Director General, Sindh Building Control Authority,
* Engr. Tariq Moen, Secretary, Fire Protection Association of Pakistan,
* Engr. Syed Jawaid Akhtar, Managing Director, JAVTAQ International (Pvt) Limited
* Mr. Irshad Jilani, Chief Inspector Mines, Sindh
Engr. Sohail Bashir, Chairman, IEP Karachi Centre was moderator of the Panel Discussion.
Engr. Sohail Bashir, Chairman, IEP Karachi Centre presented the Seminar shield to the Chief Guest, Keynote Speakers and Panelists.
Engr. M. Farooq Arbi, Secretary, IEP Karachi Centre presented the vote of thanks.
The Seminar was spread over 03 technical sessions which were held on Saturday the 30th November, 2019 at IEP Convention Centre as per following details.
Saturday the 30th November, 2019
1st Technical Session
Theme: Heath and Safety Management & Culture
Venue: IEP Convention Center
Chaired by :
* Engr. Zulfiqar Shah, Joint Director Labour, Government of Sindh
* Engr. Gulzar Ahmed Memon, Member Central Council, IEP
* Engr. Shagufta Ishteyaque, Member Local Council, IEP Karachi Centre
The following papers were presented”
1 KE’s Safety Culture Transformation – A True Story
-by Ms. Saman Laiq, General Manager Generation, HSE, K Electric Limited
2. How Technology is Helping to Improve Safety
- Engr. Ghulam Mujtaba Shaikh, Regional Director AI Engineers
3. Safety Powering Innovation
- Mr. Muhammad Ali Shaikh, Secretary General, OCIC
2nd Technical Session
Theme: Operational Safety
Venue: IEP Convention Centre
Chaired by :
* Mr. Mahmood Siddiqui, General Manager, HSE, Engro Polymer & Chemicals Ltd.
* Ms. Tasneem Ilyas, Director of EHS & Minerals Services, SGS Pakistan Private Limited,
* Engr. M. Aijazul Haque, Vice-Chairman (Mechanical & Allied) IEP Karachi Centre
Following papers were presented:
4. Emergency Planning and Resources
- Ms. Zulekha Soorma, CEO, Atlanta Inc
5. Effluent Treatment Plant for Textile Industries in Karachi
-Ms. Ramsha Nowal Alvi, Orient Water Technologies, Karachi
6. Operating Hazards of Boiler in Context of Human Safety
-Mr. Tariq Jamal, Visiting Faculty/Independent Consultant
7. NORMS (Naturally Occurring Radio Active Materials) Its Implications
-Engr. Syed Jawaid Akhtar, Managing Director, JAVTAQ International (Pvt) Limited.
3rd Technical Session
Venue: IEP Convention Centre
Chaired by :
* Engr. Dr. Fareed Iqbal Siddiqui, Deputy Managing Director, PPL
* Engr. S.M.Pervez Sadiq, Member Local Council, IEP Karachi Centre
Following papers were presented:
8. Sustainable Effluent Treatment, Uniquely Designed Towards Zero Liquid Discharge
-by Mr. Qazi Naeemuddin, Site Manager & Head of Operations, Archoma Pvt Limited
9. Occupational Health, Safety & Environment in Mining
-Engr. Muhammad Yousuf, General Secretary, Institute of Mining Engineers Pakistan
10. Management of Asbestos Containing Materials
-Mr. M. Islahuddin, Manager Chemical Section. Hub Power Station, HPSL-HUBCO
11. MultiTex RCT
-by Mr. Abdul Rehman, The Agha Khan University
Implementation Challenges – Building Codes-Fire Safety Provisions
- By Mr. Tariq Moen, Secretary, Fire Protection Association of Pakistan
The closing session was held after the 3rd technical session of the Conference. Engr. Sohail Matin, CEO, GlaxoSmithKline Consumer Healthcare Pakistan Ltd. Grace the closing ceremony of the seminar as Chief Guest
Engr. Sohail Bashir, Chairman, IEP Karachi Centre presented the closing address.
Ms Ingrid Christensen, Country Director, International Labour Organization (ILO) delivered the key note speech in the closing session of the seminar.
IEP Karachi Centre awarded “Chairman IEP Karachi Centre Medal” to the best paper of the Conference.
Selection Committee comprising of Session Chairs decided the best paper of the 9th OHSE-2019.
The best paper award was given to the paper NORMS (Naturally Occurring Radio Active Materials) Its Implications presented by Engr. Syed Jawaid Akhtar, Managing Director, JAVTAQ International (Pvt) Limited.
Engr. Ayaz Mirza Vice President IEP and Chief Organizer 9NOSHE presented the closing remarks. He briefed that IEP provided a platform for effective & meaningful consultation between government officials, economic planners, business leaders, employee representatives, academia & OHS professionals to discuss, share & contribute towards preventing illnesses & injuries in the Pakistani workplaces & creating a sustainable business model based on effective legislation, competent enforcement of machinery, a committed & progressive business leadership & conscious workforce
Engr. Akhtar Quddus, Member Organizing Committee presented the recommendations of the seminar which will be forwarded to all government and other stake holder for their guidance and implementation, these include the following salient recommendations:
1. Regulators should ensue fire safety & emergency provision as per building code of Pakistan ( Fire Safety Provisions) 2016 while approving the building plans , also ensure post construction verification before completion approval.
2. Government should focus on capacity building of regulatory bodies & enforcing offices to ensure effective implementation of all H & S related laws.
3. Electrical utility companies should provide vertical bus bar on individual floors for meters of high rise buildings.
Engr. M. Farooq Arbi, Vice-Chairman (Civil & Structural), and Secretary, IEP Karachi Centre presented the vote of thanks.
A souvenir was published on the occasion consisting of abstracts of presentation presented. Messages from the following dignitaries were received on this occasion and were published in the souvenir.
• Dr. Arif Alvi, President, Islamic Republic of Pakistan,
• Mr. Imran Ismail, Governor of Sindh
• Mr. Shah Farman, Governor of KPK
• Engr. Syed Murad Ali Shah, Chief Minister Sindh
• Ms. Ingrid Christensen, Director, ILO Country Office for Pakistan,
• Engr. Prof. Dr. Sarosh Hashmat Lodi, Vice-Chancellor, NEDUET
• Engr. Dr. Javed Younas Uppal, President, IEP
• Engr. Sohail Bashir, Chairman, IEP Karachi Centre
• Engr. Amir Zamir Ahmed Khan, Secretary General, IEP
• Engr. Ayaz Mirza, Vice-President, IEP & Chief Organizer, 9th OHSE-2019
• Engr. M. Farooq Arbi, Secretary, IEP Karachi Centre
Following Leading Organizations sponsored the Conference
- AMCORP Engineering & Construction (Pvt) Limited, Karachi
- Pakistan Petroleum Limited,
- K-Electric Limited,
- SGS Pakistan (Pvt) Limited
- AI Engineers Pakistan (Private) Limited
Leading newspapers gave a large coverage of this Seminar in their newspaper. The Seminar was a success and well attended.
OTHER KEY INFORMATION
150 delegates registered from various organizations.
200 participants/Guest participated in the inaugural session
Certificates were distributed to the participants.
Engr. M. Farooq Arbi, FIE(Pak)
IEP Karachi Centre
4th Floor, IEP Building, 177/2, Liaquat Barracks,
Opp: Hotel Regent Plaza, Shahrah-e-Faisal,
Tel: 021-32780233, 32781492,